Monday, May 28, 2012

Faith Like Potatoes

This past weekend I was at a retreat at the beach with my church. The theme of the weekend was taken from 1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."



To glorify God means to admire Him, to delight in Him, to applaud Him for being the source of all power, all pleasure, all peace. Living and not giving or even gushing praise and thanks is missing the point and is presumptuously rude. Why?

God gave up his son, his only child, and God watched his child be humiliated and killed. If you say no and reject that gift of course God can say you're crazy to think I'll let you anywhere near me, you are not welcome in heaven.
~Some of my notes from what Richard Smith spoke about

My parents and I just finished watching the movie Faith Like Potatoes. A marvelous true story of God's faithfulness and sovereignty in the life of a man who trusted Him completely and gave him all applause. Angus was an angry, proud man before God took a hold of his life. If you get a hold of the DVD make sure you watch the documentary about Angus Buchan in the special features. It's really neat to hear the energy, passion and faith of the man who's story is dramatized in the movie.

Frank Rautenbach as Angus Buchan
Movie synopsis from back cover: Based on the inspiring true story of a farmer who found faith. A farmer moves his family to South Africa and suffers a series of seemingly insurmountable losses. Through unlikely friendships and much needed divine intervention, he discovers his life's true purpose and it sustains his unwavering belief in the power of faith. A moving life journey of a man who, like his potatoes, grows his faith, unseen until the harvest.

Angus Buchan
I just requested the book via ILL (inter library loan) and am really looking forward to reading more about this wonderful story of God displaying his glory.

Update (8/20): I've noticed that this post is getting a quite a few hits and I figured you might want to read my review of the book. Yep, I got it through ILL and really enjoyed it. Here's the review.

Find out more:  the movie; on Facebook; the orphanage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics